Wednesday, October 17, 2007

I love you....

So yesterday my kids were sitting in the play room cutting out paper hearts and stars and people and just generally making a mess of a bunch of good computer paper. Because they were all totally entertained and not asking me their favorite question of late, "Mommy, what can I do?" I decided the computer paper was totally worth the sacrifice. Cut away, happy children, cut away!! So then, I notice that Jordan has gotten out his crayons and is writing something on the inside of one of the biggest hearts. He keeps looking up at me, smiling, and then back down at the heart. I started to feel all warm and happy inside because I knew he was making a card for me. Yay! Kid love. It's the best! I pretended to not have any idea what he was doing and acted totally surprised when he brought the card over and handed it to me. Here's what I read:

"Mommy, I love you! Even when you are not."

"Even when I am not what, Jordan?" I ask...

He shrugs his shoulders and responds, "Oh, even when you aren't nice."

Well then. I wasn't sure if I should be deeply insulted that my little boy thinks that I am not nice (I wash his clothes, I cook his favorite meals, I give him three kisses every night before bed and tuck his covers just the way he likes them, I double knot his shoes, I walk all the way in to his room in the middle of the night to find his stuffed shamu or give him a new drink of water because what's on the nightstand isn't cold enough, I mean, what does it take to get a positive vote around this place?!) or just deeply grateful that even though I'm not perfect, he's letting me know he loves me anyway. I think I love him anyway too.