Saturday, December 22, 2007

A new phase of babydom...

Tonight, while doing my final grocery shopping in preparation for all the wonderful yummy things we will be eating on Christmas Eve and Christmas day, the baby ate my grocery list. Literally. I'd like to say that it bothered me... but it kept him quiet after what had been a very long day. Lucky for me, I remembered most of what was on my list. Life with Henry is suddenly totally different. EVERYTHING goes in to his mouth. I know it was like this before, with my other babies, but it's been a while... I'd forgotten how vigilant you really have to be to keep a baby's mouth free of foreign objects.


Suddenly, I have to keep my floors really, really clean. No longer can I depend on the variation of the rug to disguise the accumulating crumbs and dirt... if they are there, Henry will find them, and then he will eat them. So now I vacuum every day. And the kids aren't allowed to eat in the living room (okay, so maybe I'll just have to make sure that they clean up after themselves, because let's face it... if breakfast didn't sometimes consist of dry Cheerios from a bowl while watching curious George, I may never actually get to take a shower.) And all the little Lego's and knex and all other toys that are full of teeny tiny pieces have to stay in the bedrooms where Henry isn't. I really had forgotten how annoying it was to have a vacuum-like baby around.


It's not just things on the floor that go in his mouth. Any and all food he can grab from grocery store shelves, plates, counters, and other peoples hands, pens, grocery carts, toys, cell phones, keys, old chewing gum... (how do babies manage not to get sick?)

I guess I really shouldn't complain though... because for all intents and purposes, that is really the only thing I CAN complain about. He is such an easy baby to have around. Maybe he just seems easy because there is only one of him... and last time there was two. I don't know for sure... but I know I'm grateful! Grateful for Henry... for all my other beautiful babies, and for Christmas time. I love Christmas time! So, Merry Christmas to all of you!!