or third babies, or fifth or sixth babies, or how about any baby that comes when there are already several other small children in the house... they turn in to big kids much faster than one would expect.
Take Henry for example. He's baby number 4. He is completely enamored with his older brothers and sister. Wherever they go, he toddles behind, crying out if they get too far ahead. When they laugh at a joke, he laughs too. When they see something exciting, he gets excited too. They have taught him necessary life skills like how to throw a ball, how to appropriately hold a Nintendo controller, how to go down the stairs backwards, and gracefully get off the couch. Much of his little existence is focused on being just like them.
Even knowing all of this, I was not prepared for the meltdown Henry had at dinner tonight. The meal started without any problem. Henry sat peaceably in his high chair and watched me fix plates for the three older kids. He watched me fix them a drink and give them a fork. Then it was his turn. When I turned to his high chair and started breaking up bits of food for him to feed himself, let's just say he was NOT pleased! He cried, he screamed, he arched his back and nearly flipped completely out of his high chair. The food that was already on his high chair was immediately picked up and thrown back in my direction. (I seriously have to teach this child how to say "all done!" because right now, when he's finished he throws his leftovers on the floor, or at me. Finished with his bottle? You better watch out. He's got good aim.) Anyway, it was at this moment that a flash of motherhood brilliance blasted through the kitchen and I knew exactly what Henry wanted. I picked up his food and fixed him a plate... just like the big kids. When I placed it on his tray and gave him his own little plastic fork, he looked at me with a lovingly tolerant look that said, "Yes! You big dummy! You finally figured it out!" and quickly began to devour his food.
14 months old and determined to be a big kid... tonight I think I'll have a good cry. Excited and proud can wait until tomorrow, right?