I have this terrible habit of giving my wallet to my 16 month old. I know it doesn't make any sense. And I never consciously decide that he should play with my checkbook and credit cards, but sometimes, it just happens. He catches me with my guard down... on the phone with someone important, writing an email that will only take me one more minute, in the middle of doing something for one of the other children... Henry will reach for my wallet, because he finds it absolutely more entertaining than any toy you could ever offer, and I relent, letting him grab it, thinking I will get it, and all it's contents from him in just a moment when I'm done.
I know, I know. I'm really setting myself up for disaster. Like yesterday. Henry pulled my wallet off the desk while I was on the phone with the telephone company. Because I didn't want the person on the phone to hear the cacophony that would ensue if I didn't let Henry keep the wallet, I watched him out of the corner of my eye and continued my conversation. Literally two minutes later, when my conversation was finished, I went to pick up the innards of my wallet and reassemble it's ever important and terrible to be lost contents.
I was missing my check card. Of course. Well, it couldn't be far, right? It had only been 120 very short seconds. So I searched. I crawled all over my entire living room, looking inside the couch cushions, behind the desk, inside all the library books. I even gave Henry another card thinking perhaps he would take it to the same spot he hid the first one. It didn't work. The card was NO WHERE to be found.
I was annoyed, but I asked for it, didn't I? Perhaps next time I need the baby to be entertained, I'll pull out my marriage license and social security card. Who cares about those?!
Resigned to my fate, I called the bank and ordered a new card. Later that afternoon, while driving home from wherever it was we where, I can't remember where, Jordan said, "Hey Mommy, I found your check card."
"What? Where?!"
"It's right there... beside your seat."
Well, that's just great, isn't it. In the car!!
I can't for the life of me figure out how Henry managed to steal my keys and get out of the house and in to the car without me noticing. He MUST have been the one that hid my check card in the car, right? HE probably left it there after he drove over to the Dairy Queen for an ice cream cone. The nerve of him...