A friend of mine just had her first baby. A little boy that is absolutely beautiful. Sometimes you just say that regardless of what the baby looks like even though you know the kid isn't as cute as your own. And sometimes you say it and really, really mean it. With this little boy, I really, really meant it. I was completely mesmerized and awed by his miniature perfection.
Now, if you know me in person, you'll know that I am very quiet and demure and don't really like talking. HA! Okay, not at all. Really, it's quite the opposite. I talk a lot. And I've learned recently that when I am talking with someone that IS really reserved, I kick my motor mouth in to overdrive. It's as if I feel I need to fill in all the dead space with whatever nonsense comes out of my mouth. This often leads to me saying way too much. Sharing things that really have no relevance, and are, in actuality, much more awkward than any awkward silence ever could be.
So, the story.
I take dinner to my good friend and her week old baby. With a baby that young, Mom should not be cooking... and taking food is a great excuse to actually SEE the baby. Well worth it, I tell you. So while I'm marveling at boy wonder in all of his beautifulness, my friend's husband, who also happens to be Jordan's Sunday school teacher, runs out to my van to say hello to my kids. I'm sure the kids appreciated this gesture since I had left them locked in the car with all their snotty nosiness and a very clear threat to their future comforts if they removed themselves from their seat belts. When I returned to the car, I told the husband that his baby was really, really beautiful, and that I really, really meant it. He said,
"Well, I told my wife when we got married that when we had kids, I wanted them to be as cute as yours."
This was very sweet of him to say. He's a nice man.
I could have been sweet and polite and said, "Oh, thank you!"
But, perhaps because his ever so quiet and sweet wife had caused the above mentioned motor boat mouth overdrive reaction, I instead say, "You have to be careful though. Because sometimes really cute kids wind up being the funniest looking adults."
What?!
So in once sentence, I not only rebuked his complement of my children, I negated all the gushing I had done about his own baby as well. "He may be cute now... but just wait and see! He'll be as funny looking as my kids when he grows up!"
He just looked at me. "I guess you never know," he said hesitantly.
Yeah... you never know what crazy thing will come out of MY mouth...