I cannot even begin to imagine the pain that comes with losing a baby. Whether it's six months in to your pregnancy, two months in to life, 6 months, 6 years, or 26 years... I'm not sure it's something that anyone can understand unless you've lived through it.
I have not lived through it, but I met someone this past weekend that did. Her story has been with me since I heard it. My heart broke as she shared with me the loss of her sweet baby girl, just six weeks ago. My mind recalled the experiences of several other women that I know and love that have endured similar events in their own lives.
I am in awe at the strength and faith of these women. These women, who persevere through long days and dark nights, and then in the morning, put on their shoes and keep going.
From them, I am reminded to remember and be grateful; to complain less and savor more, to stop at the crib of my youngest and marvel at the miracle that is his life, as is the life of each child that enters this world. It must not be taken for granted.
I'm sure it in no way compensates, but just the same, I want these mothers to know that from them, I am strengthened and inspired. And because of them, I will try to be a little more humble, a little more patient, a little more grateful.