So, thanks to those that delurked... Generally speaking, I try and write for my own sense of well being, and so that I have a concrete record of all the ridiculous and hilarious things my children do. You know, for posterity's sake... and so that I have a lot of material for ultimate and timely embarrassment when my children start to date. But comments are fun too, and it's nice to hear from you once in a while.
I got up early AGAIN this morning... exercised and showered as planned. Wahoo. It was actually pretty easy since I had two five year olds in my bed and was far from comfortable. Oh, how I wish I had a king size bed. There ought to be some sort of parenting disclaimer that they send home with you when you leave the hospital...
"Please note: at some time in your life this baby will be sleeping in your bed. You'll wake up and have no idea how they got there. But it will happen. Any subsequent children may also end up in your bed, often all at the same time. They will not be sensitive to your own comfort. They will sleep perpendicular to your own frame, with feet digging in to your ribs, and head pressing firmly in to your spouse's back. They will steal your pillow. If you get up to go to the bathroom, when you return to your bed, they will be IN your spot. Experts recommend locking doors to your sleeping area, or investing in a king size bed."
In other news: Last weekend, I escorted six teenagers to a regional youth activity sponsored by our church. After I removed the car seats and officially destickified the back of my van, the teenagers all rode to the event with me. I'm sure it sounds like a daunting task, but really the youth group of my church, for which I am currently in charge, is actually full of some pretty amazing kids. I get to spend every Wednesday evening with them as well and love, love getting to know them. They are up against some pretty intense and totally alarming stuff attending high school in this often scary world. But that's a different post.
On this particular drive over, one of the young men sat in the front seat and scrolled through my CD changer assessing my musical coolness. Fortunately for my reputation amongst teenagers, I did not have any Clay Aiken in the line up. (Though if I had, I would have played him the entire time had any of them even dared make fun of him. I'm that loyal.) With various offerings of Cold Play, Maroon 5, Carbon Leaf, and One Republic, my young entourage graciously declared me "hip". But then, they came to CD #4. The young man inquired, "What's this?"
I told him to listen for a few minutes, and he would recognize it. He didn't. So I said,
"Wait for the lyrics... you'll have to at least recognize the lead singers voice. This band is, uh, pretty popular."
He didn't recognize him. No one in the entire car recognized... Bono. Even if you aren't a big fan of U2, you'd have to at least recognize Bono... right?
I was saddened by their lack of musical exposure. I mean, I don't have anything against the Jonas Brothers. But come on!! It's U2! I almost feel it my moral responsibility to enlighten them with the decades of awesome music that have come from this band.
I told them it made me feel old to be with an entire car full of kids that didn't know U2. To which my front seat passenger responded...
"I'm surprised I didn't recognize them... my parents did a pretty good job when I was growing up exposing me to the music of ya'lls generation..." Or something like that.
Right. Because since I'm barely ten years older than you... I belong in the same generation as your parents. Sheesh.
(can you believe that blogger does NOT recognize destickified as a word?)