Friday, May 22, 2009

Discrimination and American Idol.

Okay. I'm only saying this once. 

A message to the snooty faced media:

No one anywhere in the world, black, white, blue or purple, gay, not gay, conservative or liberal, male or female, christian or atheist deserves discrimination of any sort. End of story. A woman shouldn't be denied a promotion because she's a woman. A senator shouldn't be denied a presidency because he's black. A Muslim shouldn't be called a terrorist because he's Muslim. It's not fair, and it shouldn't happen. 

But... It is JUST as unfair to label anyone that may happen to disagree with your personal opinions as a narrow minded bigot. 

Case in point:  I did NOT vote for Kris Allen just because I didn't want Adam Lambert to win. I am a southern, white, very conservative, very christian female that wouldn't give a flying duck fart if the person winning American Idol was gay. I liked Adam. I thought he was very talented. But I voted for Kris, (brace yourself cause this is really hard to believe) because I like his music. Period. It wasn't because of his religion, or because of his cute little wife or because he's also a southern boy. I just liked his music more than the other guy. Please don't make this about politics or personal agendas. Kris does NOT deserve to have his win tainted by biased media outlets throwing around insults, questioning the integrity of the "crazy christian votes" and labeling the millions and millions of viewers that voted for Kris instead of Adam as close minded prudes.

And while we're on the subject, the same principle is also aptly applied to our most recent presidential election. A week before voting day, a good friend of mine was called a racist because she wasn't planning to vote for Obama. Oh my, oh my. Disagreeing with someone politically does NOT a racist make.

Are there people who didn't vote for Obama because he is black? The unfortunate truth is that there probably were (though I'm guessing not NEAR as many as the liberal media would like to believe), just as there were people who refused to vote for Adam Lambert on American Idol because he is gay. Just as insulting though, are the people that only voted for Barack Obama because he IS black. It's an entirely different breed of racism, but it's just as damaging, and I believe would even be insulting to our President to think his skin color alone, rather than his political platform prompted anyone to vote in his favor. To cast labels about like it's free popcorn is damaging and insulting to the overall intelligence of this nation. I resent the implication that because I fit into a certain demographic,  live in a certain region of the country, or attend a specific church, I don't have the brains and the decency to make my decisions based on what really matters. Like political integrity, and musical preference.

So get OFF your high horse, would you?

Okay. I'm done now. Power to the people.