So I've stopped sleeping again. Not all together, cause well, that would be impossible. But I've significantly shaved down my total sleep time, opting instead to work late into the night, fueled by nothing but word-filled adrenaline.
If you missed my first mentioning it, I've written something. You might want to catch up and read this post.
I've actually enjoyed the editing more than I thought I would. It's nice to work on making the story better when the bones of it are already there. I'm also making some changes to the plot that I think will drastically improve the believability of the story. That's exciting. Oh, and about those changes... If I've asked you to read it, and you're not done yet, um, stop reading. Really. The second half is undergoing a pretty substantial face lift. If you're still willing, let me know and I'll send you an updated second draft.
I'm still scared. I don't know statistics, but I doubt there are many authors out there who publish the first thing they've ever written. There is a part of me that wants to write something else really quick and let that be the one that fails because I'm so in love with this story. The characters? They are totally my friends. We talk. We hang out. I ask them to babysit. I don't think rejection would beat me too severely. It would stink, but I think I would keep writing, keep trying until something was good enough for publication. But it's hard to imagine shelving these characters, story untold, you know?
I know there is beauty in the creation. I know I shouldn't feel it is any less valuable of an effort if my work isn't published. Blah blah blah. I get it. But artists paint to be seen, musicians play to be heard, and writers write to be read. I'm certain I'll get there. I'm determined and optimistic and all those other uplifting words. But oh, the tension of the journey. At least, it helps to chronicle the process here.
In other news, (brace yourself... it's exciting)
I BOUGHT A CAMERA!!
It's little. It's shiny. It's red. It didn't cost $800. And it will be here in 3 to 6 business days. I'm happy about all of those things.
AND, yesterday, we took our kids to the exceptionally southern fried entertainment outpost that is Dollywood. I love that place. I love the food. I love the family oriented atmosphere. I love that all the old lady workers wear bloomers. And I love that our entire outing yesterday was photo documented in full with a borrowed camera. I'll post pictures soon.
that is all.