So I've been thinking. I'd like to get some additional feedback on my book. So far, I have relied one hundred percent on the generosity and kindness of friends and family. Everyone has been wonderful and very helpful, but I can only ask so much of my very busy friends and family who all have multiple things on their plates. I'm also itching for some feedback from someone that doesn't really have a vested interest in NOT hurting my feelings. I need criticism, people! Criticism!
I have this idea of starting a private blog and posting one or two chapters at a time that people could read and then respond to. It seems like a lot to ask. You all are busy too, aren't you? But living way out here on the east coast makes it difficult to interact with other LDS authors. I know of no critique groups. I have no idea how to network and find anyone. So, I'm asking you.
Would any of you be willing to give my story a pair of fresh eyes and leave honest constructive feedback one or two chapters at a time? Here is what you need to know.
My book is most definitely an LDS book. It is very faith specific. That certainly doesn't mean you have to be Mormon to read it. But the entire book is faith oriented, which is important I think, for you to know. What else is it about? It's a book about relationships. It is about family drama and romance and finding faith.
I'm certain that the blog would need to be private. I'd like to have some idea of who is reading. And I would absolutely need you to be honest, even if it means you leaving your comments anonymously. Though I promise I'm a grown up. I'm ready to take it. :)
It seems like the relationship wouldn't be very reciprocal, except, perhaps it could be. As I have so readily asked others to help critique my work, I would do it for someone else in a heartbeat. I promise not to forget how full my jar of favors becomes. I will repay anytime I have the opportunity.
So. Anyone interested? The blog doesn't exist yet. It would seem silly for it to exist if there isn't anyone with the time and willingness to read. So, I'm asking first. Leave me a comment, or send me an email. If you give me your email address, then when I set everything up, I will invite you to read the blog. Many of you I feel I have a pretty good blogging relationship with and would trust immediately to read my heart and soul. And some of you are strangers... non-commenting readers that I might not recognize. If that's you, and you are interested in reading, please don't be offended if I want to know a bit about you before I give you the key to my innermost efforts. This is hard, and very scary for me. I am sure you are all lovely people. But you know. One has to be careful. :)
If you already have my manuscript, you are welcome to read what you have, though I've tweaked and changed some things even since I last sent it out. You are also welcome to just read this way, if it would be easier. Not SO overwhelming, I think, to read a little at a time. If you've already read it, and are willing to break it down a little at a time and provide additional feedback, I'd be grateful for that too.
So tell me your thoughts. Tell me I'm crazy. Tell me I live in LaLaLand. OR tell me you will help?