A few months ago, I was spending a delightful few minutes holding my newest nephew, Liam. It wasn't the first time I held him, but it was the first time I got to really enjoy him. As I looked into his little face, he smiled from ear to ear, his little eyes sparkling with the innocent glee of babydom. I don't know if anyone else saw him smile. It hardly mattered. In that moment, that smile was for me and suddenly, Liam was mine. His tiny hand prints dug in deep and marked my heart, guaranteeing love unconditional. Love him like my own? Done.
It wasn't that I hadn't loved him before. But before it was universal love - the love that extended to him simply because he came from my brother. He is flesh and blood. He is family. He is loved. But in that moment, I loved him simply because he was Liam.
It's happened with all of my nephews, though I can't exactly pinpoint each moment. With my sisters' twins, it happened early, perhaps because I was so involved in their birth. Okay. Maybe involved isn't the right word. But I was there, praying, sweating, urging right along with E. as she brought one, then two babies into this world. They were perfect. They were my sisters. And, as their tiny fingers pressed into my heart, I knew that they were mine too.
I don't see my nephews every day, not even every week, but when I do see them, it doesn't take much to strengthen and solidify those initial heart prints that bind us together. A tiny hand slipping into mine and the words, "I want to sit next to you, Aunt J." is quite enough to do the trick. Or a moment spent underneath the trees at our family camp out, singing a nephew to sleep...
Close your eyes, and I'll kiss you,
Tomorrow I'll miss you,
Remember I'll always be true...
I watched as Eli dutifully closed his eyes just as the song requested each time I repeated the verse. Oh yes. He is mine alright. I dare you to make me give him up. It's a joy, I think that is bested only by the joy that comes from the roles of wife and mother. Nephews are delightfully delicious. If you don't have any, I hope you do soon.
(Lest you think I'm discriminating against nieces, I'm not. I just don't have any of those yet. Don't fret for me though. My first niece is on her way, due this November. Oh, how excited am I!)