Today, I'm happy because it's Friday. Something about Friday simply makes me happy. It's the end of the week, the beginning of the weekend, the day before the day I don't have to roll out of bed and make lunches for three kids before it's even light outside.
And yet, today, I'm sad because even though it's Friday, it's September 11th. Today, ten years from today, twenty years from today, my heart will always feel sad on this day.
It isn't an overwhelming sadness. But it's there, in the back of my mind. A small feeling that reminds me that on this day eight years ago, everything changed. I will not spend the entire day reflecting and remembering. I will go about my day, caring for my children, picking up my house, loving, nurturing, mothering.
Through it all, that small feeling of sadness will be there. And I'm glad for it. Because I don't want to forget. Because we shouldn't forget. Someday, I'm going to write what I was doing that day - how I felt, how it affected me. I think I should write it for my children. When they study it in their history books, or hear a college lecture that mentions it, maybe it will help them to hear my perspective, to know that I remember. I wasn't there, not in person. But I was here, watching, listening, praying.
And I won't forget.
May God bless the families of those that were lost, and all those that were affected.