Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Has Facebook killed Christmas Cards?

Last year, I didn't send Christmas cards. Mostly because I moved on December 6th and was sort of busy settling into a new house. It was a good excuse, so I ran with it.

I was thinking, this year, I really ought to send something out. I'm not a Christmas letter kind of person... more of a simple photo and some genuine merry wishing. Nothing more. But then I thought, if people are Facebook friends, they've seen all these pictures I could include on a card. Many others are Facebook friends that also read my blog, so they not only have seen the pictures, but they pretty much know that I'm good, my family's good. We're good.

I don't want to be lame and just say "Merry Christmas" in a status update, but at the same time, it's SO much easier to keep in touch with everyone now. Christmas cards are not the only time you can see updated pictures or find out if someone is playing a new instrument, driving a new car, or loosing all her teeth. Long distance friendships have become instantly gratified what with all our networking and status updating...

So, I'm torn. I'm thinking I have a handful of non-computer savvy aunts/uncles/grandmothers that should probably still get a Christmas card... but is the expense worth it for everyone else?

Share your thoughts. How are you handling Christmas cards this year?