Oh, how heavenly delicious the meal was last night. I am now a firm believer in making mashed potatoes with Yukon gold potatoes, cream cheese, butter, and half and half. I mean seriously. They were the BEST mashed potatoes I've ever had.
I followed the recipes listed here. This one page provides recipes for the mashed potatoes and the pork, and the Buttered Rosemary rolls, which I also made. To add something green, I roasted some Asparagus. YUM.
When Jordan was done eating, he looked up from his plate and said, "Can we have leftovers tomorrow?" And Josh informed me that the meal made him happier than any meal in a very long time. He even had to call his sister when he was done, just so he could tell someone how good it was.
So. You should try it. The recipe is pretty simple, and tastes like you spent much more time in the kitchen than what is actually necessary. A few notes on the recipe... the printable version does not specify how much rosemary to add to the cranberry sauce for the pork. In PW's pictures, it looks to be one sprig or so... that's what I used, and it tasted great. The recipe also only calls for 1/2 cup of cranberry sauce... I used MUCH more than this. Since there was no way in holy heaven I would have time to make homemade cranberry sauce, I used Ocean Spray Whole Berry cranberry sauce, and used two full cans to get the sauce to what seemed a reasonable consistency. I worried it would be too much... but it wasn't. It was delightfully wonderful. I also used an entire onion, instead of just a half, cause mine was on the smaller side.
So there you have it. Amazingly easy, and so completely delicious. The husband loved it, the kids devoured it. A win, win!!
Yesterday, my awesome friend D asked if I would share my recipe for Salmon and Dill Sauce... so I'll post that below. Happy weekend, everyone!
Baked Salmon with Yogurt Dill Sauce
What you need:
Salmon (however much your family will eat)
Olive Oil or Butter
Salt, Pepper, Garlic, and any other seasoning you like
Lay the fish in a shallow baking dish. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Drizzle fish with olive oil, or melted butter, and generously season with salt, pepper, garlic, and whatever else you prefer. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the fish flakes with a fork and is no longer translucent. Watch it carefully... overcooked fish is very dry fish.
For the sauce:
1 cup Plain Yogurt
2 tsp. lemon zest
1 TBSP. Olive Oil
2 TBSP. chopped fresh dill
Mix together the ingredients and set aside. If you have time to make it ahead, and put in the fridge, the longer it sits, the richer the flavors will become. You can just throw it together though... it's still good. You can also have the sauce with Salmon cooked just about any way you like it. If you generally grill it, or pan sear it, or whatever, do that, and just try the sauce. Cause it's yummy. I've also made variations of the sauce that use mayo instead of yogurt, and include minced garlic and lemon juice instead of the zest. Those are good too, but I like this one the best.