Wednesday, February 3, 2010

You asked. I answered. Random Edition, Part I.

In which I address several questions all at once:

Cindy wants to know how it's conceivably possible to surf the internet AND talk on the phone at the same time. To this, I say I have no earthly idea, which is why I thought the aforementioned commercial was so inane in the first place. My brother did a very funny demonstration, holding his fingers up to his phone to surf the web, while it was attached to his ear... I wasn't convinced. My sister suggested that while having a VERY boring conversation on speaker phone, one might find it necessary to surf a bit, just to help pass the time. This is equally ridiculous, I think. If your conversation is so boring, hang up! It's like watching two teenagers sit IN THE SAME ROOM and text back and forth. Utterly and completely pointless.

Genean wants to know: "How did you know you were done having kids?" Um, well, I'm not exactly sure I AM done having kids. In the throws of pregnancy sickness and complete and total discomfort, I have moments where I think 5 is absolutely enough. But then, I felt the same way through my first pregnancies as well. After Henry was born, while I was still in the hospital, I had a very clear and distinct impression that he was not my last baby. And obviously, he wasn't. :) I am much more inclined to think that this one will be my last. Five is a great number... an easy number... a number that will all fit in my minivan.

But.

I'm not quite 29 years old. My feelings, my circumstances, my health, any number of things might change that could affect both my desire and my ability to have more children. I do, on the other hand, know of parents who experienced a sense of completion when their family was, well, complete. They simply felt that everyone was present and accounted for - the opposite, I guess, of how I felt when I knew that Henry wasn't the last one.

At the same time, I think we have a responsibility to make decisions that aren't completely based on just our heart's desire, but on practicality as well. Supporting a family of five children is a tall order. I think it would be foolish to keep having babies just because they make me happy and not consider what it means to take care of them financially. The emotional health and stability of Mom (and Dad) is also important to consider. I have a dear friend who has two children. Only two, on purpose. She knew what she was capable of, and knew that if she had more than two, she would be a worse mother to more children than she would be to only two. It was her choice, she owns it, and isn't ashamed of it. There are so many things to consider... things that are unique to our individual families and circumstances.

Sigh.

I had answered a few more questions, but then looked back and realized how eternally long this post was, so I'm cutting it off here, and adding a Part I to the title. Part II will follow soon, and I will happily extend the period of blogging where I am given topics on a nice shiny silver platter a bit longer.