I consider it quite a privilege that Braden Bell, LDS author and blogging friend of yours truly, asked me to review his book. He has, after all, had some pretty spectacular bloggers singing his praises as of late. Hopefully, there’s still room for my review. Want to know what I thought? This book was simply lovely. AND, because I like to share things that I love, I’ve decided to give one of my readers a copy of the book. I’m not giving you my copy, and I’m not receiving anything for offering you one. I just like it. So I’m buying a copy and giving it away, courtesy of, well, me.
First, Braden’s description, in his own words, of the book:
The Road Show is the story of five contemporary Latter-day Saints, each of whom is struggling with a spiritual or emotional challenge: pornography addiction, post-partum depression, ill health, loneliness, feeling excluded, and spiritual numbness.
For various reasons, they all end up participating in their ward’s road show. Most of them do this against their will, but the conflicts that arise from their reluctant participation propel them to ultimate healing.
And now, because I want you to know how I responded the moment I was done reading, a bit of the email I sent to Braden just after I finished.
Braden, it was so lovely and so very touching. I was moved to tears. You did a wonderful job at expressing the emotions of your characters in a way that will surely elicit an emotional response from your readers. People will be inspired. They will feel a desire to find the Sister MacDougal (my favorite character from the book) in their own lives, to soften their perspective and be a little more like the Savior.
To write something that entertains is an accomplishment, but to write something that gently testifies of the Savior and of the healing powers of the Atonement, that inspires so completely is noteworthy indeed…
Later in the email, I said:
I think the true challenge of writing a book is managing to write in a manner that allows your reader to actually forget that they are reading, and just become completely immersed in the story. Nothing breaks a "moment" worse than a really terrible sentence. The Road Show is a great story, but it reads well too, which will help it do well, I think.
So there you have it. I can’t lie when it comes to books. And even if I could, I would never go so far as to give one away, unless I really liked it.
If you’d like to receive a complimentary copy, just leave a comment. On Monday, the 21st, I’ll randomly pick a winner and then, lucky you, you own The Road Show!
If you can’t stand to wait until Monday, you can purchase your own copy at Amazon by clicking on the link below:
The Road Show, by Braden Bell on Amazon
Visit Braden’s website to learn more about him, his book, and further purchasing information, beyond Amazon, by clicking below.