Friday, July 9, 2010

Mamma Duck

IMG_2859

It’s a weighty responsibility, to lead little ones. Especially little ones that know you, that love you, that would follow you anywhere you lead them. What if I take a wrong step? Make a wrong choice? What if I get scared? What if I don’t know which way to go?

The other day while fixing dinner, the baby started to cry, and all four older children started asking for four different things, all at the same time. The sudden chaos, the noise pushed me near over the edge.

I lost my cool.

I yelled. I pounded my fists. I overreacted.

Minutes later, the kids sat quietly, eyes downcast. I picked up the baby and took a deep breath. Not their fault, I thought to myself.

Then, an apology.

“Guys, I’m not a perfect Mommy. I make mistakes, I get frustrated. I shouldn’t have yelled. Can you forgive me and be patient as I keep trying to be a better Mommy?”

Instant smiles.

“Okay,” they replied.

Huh. Who knew apologies worked on our kids too?

It is so scary to lead… so scary to know they are looking at me, learning from me.
I’m not perfect, but you know what? Neither are they.

So we work imperfectly together, trying our best, learning and growing and experiencing joy. 

IMG_2863

Because it is joyful.

(Thanks to my lovely nephews who played with me at our family campout last Summer and helped make these pictures so much fun!)