Monday, November 29, 2010

The STUFF of Christmas

I spent several hours this morning online, surfing the copious online deals of "Cyber Monday." I filled my shopping cart full with stuff. I browsed and clicked and added. And yet, I didn't buy a single thing. I'm not sure why, really. I plan to shop for Christmas. I'm excited about the giving and the celebrating with those that are near and dear to me. If I know I will buy, why not now, when the deals are good?

It's the stuff, I think. I'm feeling choked, smothered, overwhelmed with all the sparkling dollar signs urging me to buy more than I or anyone really needs. Instead of inspiring generosity and love, it's inspiring quite the opposite. I find myself not wanting to spend at all.

I don't want this holiday or any day to be about the stuff. I don't want to be buying just for the sake of buying - marking someone off my list because they are on my list and that's what we do at Christmas time - buy stuff for people and then mark them off our list.

How is that what Christmas is about? So I'm struggling. Struggling and waiting to find the balance between love and generosity and the spirit of thoughtful giving and the "stuff centered" materialism that is all over everywhere. I want to root out the itchiness in my fingers that made me want and want and want this morning - things for me, things for my children, things that we don't really need but that I nearly purchased just because the deal was too good to pass up. How is a deal too good to pass up when you are buying something you don't actually need? Pass it up. I promise you'll be fine.

There IS a balance. I'm certain there is. I don't mean to imply that Christmas should be celebrated without gifts. It's not the giving that I struggle with, but the constant attitude of more and bigger and better. It's the excess that I struggle with. There is so much that could be bought, so much stuff that we have access to, but for what purpose? It's just stuff.

But our gifts don't have to be stuff. They can be thoughtful, meaningful, given with love, PURCHASED with love. After all, this holiday will be what we make it, yes? We can remove ourselves from the excess and revel in the good, the beautiful, the simple. We can give less of our wallets and more of ourselves.

But can we? Really? I'm clinging to the thought with my finger nails, but I'll be honest. It's sometimes hard to resist the lure of more, and bigger, and better. What will you do this Christmas to maintain perspective, and remember the true reason we celebrate and give?

One more thing... be sure to check back in this Wednesday. I'll be telling you about a little book that spoke peace to my heart on this very subject. I'm already feeling better and more hopeful about giving with purpose this holiday season. 


Wait. I'm back again. Wanted to let you know that Heather of the EO and Allison of O My Family are apparently feeling much the same way that I do. Except, they are one step ahead of me and are actually doing something to counteract the glitzy excessive materialism that so frequently permeates the holidays. They are giving back, and giving others the opportunity to give and shop with purpose. Click over to read about their efforts and for the opportunity to win several truly lovely giveaways.


Bead for Life/Gifts for Life at The Extraordinary Ordinary, with the first giveaway here: Paper Culture Give Away  


Gifts for Life at O My Family