Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Karl Project

Okay, so you remember my post a month or so ago about Karl Marx and Rising Star Outreach and how I was going to blog with a little more purpose? I was pretty darn sure it was a pretty good idea, and then...

Guys, it's totally dead in the water. No, that's not right. Not dead in the water... More like we're sitting on the shore with sand between our teeth just looking at the water. Things that I thought were going to work haven't quite worked out, and now I'm left sort of twiddling my thumbs wondering if I ought to just give up on the whole thing.

But I don't really want to give up. And I still think it's a good idea. So I'm asking for your help.

Do you know someone who has a small business or an Etsy shop and would like a little bit of free promotion? What about a blog that's looking to increase readership? Here's how it works... you make a small (My blog is small potatoes guys... we're talking small) donation to Rising Star Outreach, and you get an introductory post about how awesome you are, plus one month of top billing in yon sidebar area. Your donation is tax deductible, Karl benefits, and you get free advertising. I was kind of hoping that the "help a kid in India" factor would outweigh the "not that big of a blog and not really worth paying for advertising" factor. I could be wrong?

To me, it sounds like a formula that should work. And yet, I'm getting so very little response. Ultimately, I'm happy to contribute every single penny of Karl's monthly sponsorship. I never would have implemented this plan if I wasn't willing to pick up the cost myself. But I was hopeful that the blog might help raise even more than the requested amount. I was hopeful that those that might not be able to afford thirty dollars a month to sponsor their own child, would be happy to contribute one or two - a way to support such a great cause without stretching the budget. It truly is an incredible organization that does so much good. It makes me happy to think of helping them.

But, the last thing I want to do is push a cause that I feel strongly about down the throats of you, my readers. I know you don't come here for that. So I'll ask just this once, and then I'll be done. What say ye? Any suggestions? Be honest with me, would you?

(Also, if you've made a donation since the beginning of the project, would you shoot me a quick email to let me know? mommysnark@gmail.com You could also leave an anonymous comment on this post, if you'd rather do that. We're just trying to make sure all systems are in place and donations are notated as they should be. And of course, thank you!)


*******