Serviceman's Name: ThomasBranch of the service: National Guard
For how long? He joined when he was 17 and has been in the guard for a little over 8 years.
Currently deployed? He is currently serving his first deployment in Iraq. He has been gone for 6 months and we have about another 6 to go.
Kids? How old? We have two beautiful Children, Eleanor 1 year and a half & Thomas, 3 months. Thomas was born while his dad was in Iraq, but we were able to be on skype through the whole labor and delivery. We were also blessed to have a 2 week R&R a bit ago.
What is the best thing about serving in the military? I would have to say the best thing about the military is having the great opportunity to grow closer through being apart. Don't get me wrong, being apart is not fun at all, but through this deployment we have learned so much about ourselves as individuals, as a couple and as a family. I am amazed at the strength is has brought with it. I am also excited to have the opportunity someday soon to move to places we aren't used to while he goes active duty.
What is the hardest thing? The thing that is best is also the hardest- being apart is so hard. It is really hard to watch our children grow without him here. We miss him in everything we do. Our daughter took her first steps while he was away and our son was born while he was away. It is hard to watch our daughter cry for him at night sometimes and it is hard to know that our son won't really get to know him until he is 9 or 10 months old. Everything about being apart is hard, holidays, cooking dinner, going to church, it is all a challenge.
When dealing with separation/deployment, what sorts of things do you do to make it easier on your family? We have a support system that we have come to rely on. It is made up of wonderful family, friends and neighbors. I have come to realize that I have to ask for help or I go crazy. Sometimes I just need that extra hand or just need someone to lean on for a little bit.
When dealing with separation/deployment, what sorts of things do you do to make it easier on your family? We have a support system that we have come to rely on. It is made up of wonderful family, friends and neighbors. I have come to realize that I have to ask for help or I go crazy. Sometimes I just need that extra hand or just need someone to lean on for a little bit.
Tell me something about your husband not related to his work. What does he like to do in his spare time? Thomas enjoys so many different activities. He loves to serve others. He also loves to be around little children and he often spends his spare time playing with our children.
What about you? What do you like to do? I love to be with my children. They are the lights of my life. I also love cooking and taking care of our home. I am a photographer as well and love to capture all the memories we are having so I can share them with Thomas.
Anything else you'd like to mention? Thomas has told me many times that he joined the guard because he wants to help others. He finds joy in helping others. I have even seen this play out in our little family. He is a fabulous husband. I have come to rely on him as my best friend because he really listens and really tries to make me feel better when I am having a hard day. I am so proud of the sacrifices he is making for our family.
Anything else you'd like to mention? Thomas has told me many times that he joined the guard because he wants to help others. He finds joy in helping others. I have even seen this play out in our little family. He is a fabulous husband. I have come to rely on him as my best friend because he really listens and really tries to make me feel better when I am having a hard day. I am so proud of the sacrifices he is making for our family.
Thanks so much Heather and Thomas, for your willingness to serve and all that you sacrifice.



