When I was a kid, I always said I wanted six children, because then everyone has a partner when you go to amusement parks, and no one has to sit alone. It was perfect reasoning when I was ten. And really, it sort of still makes sense to me today. There's something oddly comforting about even numbers.
And so there will be six.
I know, I know. I have so frequently said, "Um yeah, we're pretty much done." But then, while having a quietly personal conversation with God, I suddenly knew that we weren't and that there really was another baby meant for us. So.
Baby number 6 will join us in the Spring.
Now. If there is anything that I'm not particularly looking forward to, it's being pregnant in public. Because see, I already have five children. In this small southern town where large families are NOT the norm, I am a spectacle wherever I go. People stare, raise their eyebrows, and much too frequently, share with me how they feel about the size of my family. Lets just get a few of the answers to their polite and ever respectful questions out of the way now, shall we?
YES. They are all mine.
YES, we are college educated individuals, choosing to have six children. And we're happy about it.
YES, we do actually know what causes pregnancy. And we have a hell of a good time doing it. On purpose.THANKS FOR ASKING.
NO, I'm not crazy.
NO, I'm not counting down the days until they're all grown up. I LIKE MY CHILDREN.
NO, I don't actually have anything better to do with my time. Because this that I'm doing? It's the most important thing I could EVER do with my life. But that's not to say I'm not capable of doing other things. You know, like maybe publishing a novel. (I know this is shameless bragging... but the implication that I am barefoot and pregnant because I am not capable of doing anything else makes my. blood. boil. And it's been made plenty of times. So indulge me on this one, please?)
And finally, YES, This will be the last one. (4 c-sections is quite enough, thank you very much.) Not that it's technically anyone's business how many or how few children any couple chooses to have, or, for that matter, is capable of having in the first place. (A shout out here to all those that have endured infertility and dealt with comments far more destructive and hurtful than anything I've endured on the other side of the coin. Where my frustration is rooted in annoyance, yours, I know, comes from a much deeper, much more difficult place. My heart goes out to you. Truly.)
So. We're happy and excited, (and really, not actually as defensive as this blog post makes me sound) but also terrified and completely overwhelmed. We're pretty sure 6 kids will fit in our van, though we think Jordan might have to sleep on the trampoline once baby is born. But that's totally fine. Our winters are generally pretty mild.