So, I feel as if my summer is slipping away faster than I can say hoopla. There is much that I could write about the weirdness that is filling my house everyday. And I will. Eventually. For now I want to tell you about a book I've just read called What Alice Forgot, by Liane Moriarty (The one thing that has been lovely about this summer is the tremendous amount of reading I've been able to do... what with all the newborn baby nursing.)
First I should tell you this is a compensated post from the Blogher Book Club. The opinions however, are all my own.
What Alice Forgot is an engaging, fun read about a woman named Alice who falls at the gym and hits her head, causing a lapse in her memory. While everyone else knows that it's 2008, and that Alice has three kids and is in the middle of a fierce custody battle with her soon to be ex-husband, Alice is convinced it is 1998 and she is pregnant with her first child and still madly in love with said husband. The novel chronicles her journey to remembering, exploring the many complex relationships of her past and present.
Without any exception, I really, truly enjoyed reading this book. It wasn't by any means a heavy read, but it was one that made me think about how I might handle my life of today with the me I was ten years ago. I'd like to think I haven't changed all that much, but I know that isn't true. The author does a great job of exploring the many things that happen in life that "harden" us so to speak, and creates a refreshingly kind and simple "1998" Alice that makes you want to shake off all those hardening experiences and just go about being the "unaffected" you.
For it's general likability, I give this book 4 out of 5 stars. Though it wasn't a life changer, I enjoyed the read and liked the ending. So read it, yo. I think you'll like it. (For those that are concerned about such matters, the book is free of sexually explicit material, but does have a handful of swear words.)
For more discussion about this novel, visit the Blogher Book Club where discussions will be going on all month. (Plenty of time for you to read the novel and then jump in on the conversation, if you like.)
BHBC: What Alice Forgot
