My husband called me yesterday afternoon and asked me how things were going.
"Everything's great," I replied. "The chores are all done, I'm starting dinner, everyone is still alive and I've only said one swear word, so all in all, a good afternoon."
Heh.
So, my afternoon groove? I totally can't find it. School dismissal at the elementary school is twenty minutes later this year than it was last year. (3:10 instead of 2:50) People, I know it's only twenty minutes but it is completely throwing off my afternoon. After picking up the littles, then picking up Jordan, it's near on 4:00 before we are home. After the kids do their chores and their homework, which holy cow, is taking forever for Jordan cause I guess sixth grade is where that sort of thing starts, and I nurse the baby and try and get someone (Anyone? Please? Anyone?!) to practice piano, and wade my way through the colossal meltdowns that my two year old has every five minutes for the last half of her day because she is chronically sleep deprived, then try and get dinner going while holding the baby that has suddenly forgotten how to take naps because he's used to sleeping on his belly but now he can roll over so he gets to his back and then just lays there like a turtle, wondering why he's so uncomfortable... I COMPLETELY run out of steam. Then dinner winds up later, and bedtime winds up later, which does nothing to help the sleep deprived toddler.
I'm thinking I need to change some things around. Like maybe I could prepare dinner in the morning so I don't have to worry about it in the afternoons. Or maybe I'll just spend my afternoons in the bedroom eating chocolate covered strawberries and ignoring the chaos in my living room. Okay, maybe I don't mean that last part. Seriously though... I've got to take back the hours between 4 and 6 PM. Seeing my eight year old stand with her hands on her hips and say, "Mom. YOU just said a bad word."? Not my finest parenting moment.
![]() |
| One of my favorites, by Destinee Blau Photography |
You know what? Even though I started this post feeling a bit grouchy, now that it's coming to a close, I think maybe I do love the chaos of my afternoons. It's loud and hard and crazy, but also, it's us. And I love us.
| My oldest and my youngest, the first and last. Love these two boys. And love them together. |
********
And also... a great company called Simply Bags just sent me a wonderful customized tote bag to try. It's a beautiful orange-y autumn color, with strong canvas handles and a roomy interior. It's perfect for groceries, for hauling library books to and from the library, for packing a lunch for the park, or for any other thing you're sure to need a bag for when you're a Mom. I love mine and am so happy to try it out. Please do check out their website and see if their is a customized tote that would work for you.
