Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The Kitten

So, little known fact... I'm allergic to cats. Not seriously allergic. No hives or swelling or respiratory distress--just enough irritation to make my jaw line itch, and my nose to get a bit sniffly and sneezy. The frustrating thing is I grew up with cats. My parents gave me a kitten when I was 8 years old that I loved ever so much. She slept on my pillow and draped herself across my neck and was wonderful in every possible way. I wasn't allergic then, but something about moving away and having babies (perhaps?) triggered something and now... they make me itch.

This is why it makes perfect sense that I drove thirty minutes on Monday to a sweet lady's house that was giving away free kittens. And then I brought one home.

Her name is Juliet. The kids call her Jules.

Seriously, people. She is so worth a few sniffles.

I've done my research and feel fairly confident that since I didn't have the allergy as a child, if I expose myself slowly (as in, as the kitten gets bigger and grows more fur) I'll recondition myself and develop a kitty tolerance. Or so I hope. Because really.

My kids love this kitten. My husband loves this kitten. Even my DOG loves this kitten. They've been curled up together in the leather chair all day. It's the sweetest thing ever. The BEST thing about this kitten is that she passed with flying colors my requirement that all adopted pets come to my house already house trained. (I deal with enough mess as it is, thank you very much.) So, yay for adorable cuteness. (And for Claritin.)