I didn't blog much in 2012. In retrospect, I'm sorry I didn't because I fear there are moments that I failed to capture that now might slip away from my memory forever. That happens, you know. I'm certain because I've visited my archives from 2007 and read stories I know must have happened to someone else. Except it was me, and I've only forgotten.
There is much in 2012 that I don't want to forget.
There are many moments when having a large family feels like a tremendous sacrifice. It is expensive and chaotic and overwhelming and exhausting. But then I see my kids rallying together, supporting each other, loving each other, and I am so glad that we are many.
2012 was the year that Lucy got her ears pierced. It was the year that Sam read the entire Eragon series in record time. It was the year we got a kitten and I cured myself of a cat allergy. It was the year that Ivy climbed into her Daddy's lap and told him over and over again,"I lub you Daddy.. you mah best fwend." It was the year Jordan started recording his free throw percentage in a notebook, (65% and improving) working to get better by shooting 100 free throws almost every single day after school. It was the year Jimmer Freddette turned our entire family into Sacramento Kings fans. "DAD!! They put Jimmer in!!!" (NBA Basketball. I know. Never been on my list before.)
2012 was a year full of brush strokes--tiny moments that will (hopefully) contribute to what I want for my family long term. I want us to love each other. I want my children to be friends. I want my children to know God--to know that He loves them and knows them individually. I want them to know that it's okay to be different, and that in this world, where self indulgence and an excessive focus on pointless entertainment is the norm, they better be different.
I'll keep making those brush strokes as we move into 2013. At least, I'll try. It will be a different year, I think. Jack will start to walk. Ivy will throw out her diapers. Jordan will turn 12. I feel our family shifting, growing... changing as we learn and love and gain experience. I hope, more than anything, we'll all remember what Jack's eyes tell us every time he smiles. Really, truly, we have so many reasons to feel joy. For that, I am humbled, grateful, and hopeful that in 2013 we will use our able bodies to remember God, to be His willing servants in all that we do.