Thursday, October 4, 2007

But Mommy... this shirt has a collar!

Today is Jordan's school picture day. Hard to believe we actually made it through the morning getting ready without any mishaps. Jordan even made it to school in a polo shirt (with a collar) and with his hair fixed (even though Jordan insisted that it isn't Sunday). This may be a minor accomplishment in other households, but with Jordan this is huge! Jordan hates collared shirts. He hates shirts with buttons. His socks must not have lumps, his shoes must not be too tight across his toes, his Sunday ties must hang a certain way, he will only wear certain shades of blue... can you see why picture day could be such an issue? So this year, I planned ahead. I warned Jordan on Monday that school picture day was Thursday, and that he needed to prepare himself because he had to wear a shirt with a collar. We talked and argued, and negotiated back and forth until the terms were set. He would wear a polo shirt, but only if we had grilled cheese and tomato soup for dinner, with Cherry Pepsi to drink, and cake and icecream for dessert. Am I a terrible mother for agreeing? Sometimes I wonder how I can have one child who is so particular about every article of clothing that touches his skin, and another who prefers to wear his shirts and shorts backwards and his shoes on the wrong feet.

In other family news, Henry has had his first serving of real food... oatmeal mixed with apple sauce. I kinda figured he was ready for food when he was reaching for our eating utensils, and opening his mouth every time we took a bite, like maybe he could catch a stray spoon if he tried hard enough. He was thrilled with his first meal. He swallowed it down greedily... I had to hold his hands to keep him from grabbing the spoon. Now that he is eating and sitting up a little bit, I am going to get him one of these.