Monday, October 8, 2007

reading the Book of Mormon

So perhaps it was all the extra churchiness of general conference this past weekend that made me remember this story from several years ago. General conference is always good for making me really think about my goals and my priorities... am I doing enough? What can I improve? Am I wasting too much time? Am I studying enough? Could I write in my journal more (and no, blogging doesn't count.)? It's good to ask all these questions... good to reflect and try to be better. Right? (Along these lines, I read a post by Daring Young Mom that was very thought provoking. You can read it here.) So anyway, the story is as follows:

Jordan, right after the twins were born, was having a serious time adjusting to two new babies at home. I mean, seriously, had we thought about what twins would do to his simple little almost 3 year old life? So in an effort to eliminate our twenty five time outs in one day days, we made a concentrated effort to read the Book of Mormon more with Jordan, letting him repeat the words and really be a part. We talked to him about how it would help him to be good. A few weeks later, Jordan observed on his own, "Mommy, I haven't had any timeouts since we started reading the Book of Mormon!" Perhaps he didn't really know a lot about what we were reading together, but it definitely strengthened my testimony of the book. It really does work wonders. I shouldn't have been surprised then when a few months later, when I was having a particularly grumpy day, and probably not being as nice as I should be to my children, Jordan came to me and said, "Mommy, I think YOU need to read your Book of Mormon more!" Great.... just great. Who knew that a three year old was capable of such chastisement! (you know it only hurt because he was right!)

So onward and upward... I will read more, I will study more, I will take the messages of General Conference to heart. I will try to be a better Mom, and spend more quality time with my kids... and I will constantly be encouraged by the many blogging friends I have that so frequently feel just like I do.