It was just after midnight on Christmas Eve and I was almost asleep. I remember being in that weird world right before complete and total loss of consciousness when your dreams and reality sometimes blend together. I was sure I was dreaming when I heard my six year old talking on the baby monitor. Then... wait! I'm not dreaming. That really is Jordan talking on the baby monitor. That means he's awake. And in his sister's room. (Lucy shares a room with the baby... hence, the baby monitor. We don't use one for the older kids because they have lungs that allow for bellowing that reaches much farther than the distance between their bedroom and mine.) I scramble out of bed and literally run across the house... a six year old awake at midnight is manageable, but a six year old, his very grouchy younger sister who does NOT do well when waking up isn't a natural occurrence, and a baby all awake at midnight... that is a recipe for disaster.
When I get to the bedroom... Jordan has stripped down Lucy's covers and is trying to wake her up to go and open presents. Oh my goodness. He thinks it's morning. I tried really hard to stifle my giggles and break the news gently that he actually had to sleep for at least six more hours before he could get up. How cute was his excitement!! For about five minutes. Then I really just wanted to be back in bed.
For 4 long and ridiculous hours... Jordan was awake. We would almost be asleep... and then we would hear him sorting presents in the living room. Walk him back to bed... encourage him to think about all things but Christmas presents. Go back to bed. Fifteen minutes later, repeat the cycle. I'm laughing now, but in the moment... I was not feeling the Christmas spirit. He finally slept for a few short hours in a sleeping bag next to our bed. I'm still tired.