Thursday, April 3, 2008

Next time, I'll send a memo.

Yesterday, one of my old neighbors called. We had a nice discussion about the kids and how everyone was doing. We weren't really close before we moved, but we saw each other once or twice a week, and she always enjoyed seeing the children. I asked her if she had been over to meet her new neighbors yet. She said no... that she'd thought about it, but had been busy and hadn't had the chance to go over and introduce herself.

I told her that when she did finally make it, she could tell them that it had taken her so long because she was so heartbroken with us having moved, she hadn't felt up to making it over.

She replied, "Um, no. I don't think I could tell them that."

Uhhh, okay then.

Did she think I was serious? Did my apparently awful attempt at sarcastic humor totally go over her head? Or, did she get it, and just not think I was funny? And if she did think I was serious, was she then telling me that she was actually really glad that we moved? Since I quickly ended our suddenly awkward conversation, I may never know for sure... oh, to think your funny when you really aren't. It's a painful position. Really. It is.