Thursday, May 15, 2008

The H Word

I'm not really stressing about it. I do know that my 4 year old son doesn't actually hate me, but what do you do when your child decides that hate is his new emotion of choice?

In church: "Sam, please put down that hymn book." "No! I hate you!"

At home: "Sam, do you want peanut butter and jelly?" "No! I hate you."

In the grocery store: "Sam, please don't put that in the cart." "No! I hate you!"

Yeah. Big things, little things, me, Daddy, siblings... at one time or another in the past three days, he has hated us all. I don't take it personally. None of us do. But how do I explain to him how hurtful and ugly the word really is? I'm hoping it's a phase... that when he's done exploring his emotions, he'll realize he does after all, love his family, and he will stop using the phrase. In the meantime, I'm not sure how to handle it. What do you think?