Two years ago, Lucy fell and knocked one of her two front teeth up into her gum. It was bloody and messy and very scary. I worried that at age 2, she would lose the tooth and then be toothless for years waiting for her permanent tooth to grow in. But lucky for us, and her pretty little smile, the tooth, after a few months, reemerged and looked perfectly normal.
For two more years, Lucy was brushed, flossed, and smiling happy. Then, just the other day, while playing with her brothers, something happened that involved toys flying through the air, screaming, crying, and, in the end, Lucy with a bloody lip. I don't know what happened. I didn't see it. And the other two witnesses to the event were strangely hesitant to give me details. It was two hours later that Jordan looked at Lucy and said, "Lucy, you lost a tooth!" Yeah. More like, "Lucy, that toy we threw at you knocked your tooth out!"
(as an aside, I have no idea how I didn't notice, while doctoring said bloody lip, that Lucy was actually bleeding from the large hole in her gum where her tooth had been. I have no explanation.)
Regardless of how the tooth came out, Lucy was thrilled the she was now able to participate in the money hording greediness of her brother brought on by visits from the tooth fairy. I'm worried Sam may start knocking his teeth out too.
I guess I'm glad the tooth held on as long as it did. Lucy will be gap toothed for another year or two before a new tooth grows in... but she at least is old enough and big enough that a missing tooth isn't such a hard look to pull off.
So thank you, yon tooth, for surviving and clinging to life like you did for so long. You served Lucy well. Though your end was premature, may you not hold a grudge against the flying yellow toy that led to your demise. (though, if you want to haunt the two boys who inflicted such torture to your shattered existence, I'm okay with that.)
