Thursday, May 1, 2008

Ummmm, thanks, I think?

I've gained a little bit of weight lately. I don't know why. Maybe because even though I'm not pregnant or nursing, I've continued to eat enough food for two people. Huh. Who would have ever guessed? So anyway, I'm being better now... eating less, and exercising more and hoping to soon get back to where I am most comfortable... you know, the place where the clothes hanging in your closet actually fit.

So anyway, in the midst of a sugar deprived crankiness, I decided I needed an ego boost. I found my husband and totally fishing for compliments because I know he loves me and certainly knows better than to stress about a few extra pounds unless they are on him, not me, I say:

"You still love me with my extra... ummmm, curves, don't you?" (see how I worded it... hard for him to go wrong here. What's he gonna say, No? I know it's a terrible thing to do... I actually HATE it when people fish for compliments, especially from someone that is unequivocally in their corner all ready. But like I said, I was cranky and hungry and feeling not so good about myself. So I fished. It happens.)

He said, "Of course I do. You have a very nice shape." Now, he could have stopped right here and I would have been perfectly happy. But for extra emphasis, he added, "If your butt were on Kelly, it would look huge, but on you, it's perfect." (Kelly, is in fact, very tiny... and would look funny with my butt, but still...)

Well okay then. Sorta like taking a really cute puppy and then shaving it bald. Still a puppy, but just doesn't have the same affect, does it? Still a compliment... but... What? My butt is huge?

In other news, I had a birthday last Sunday. It was printed in the program at church, so everyone and their brother wished me a happy birthday. It was wonderful feeling like the most important person all day... then, a nice young man asked me how old I was. When I responded, 27, he said, "Really? You are only 27? I would have thought you much older."

Uhhh, thanks.

I know what you are going to say... I have four kids, of course people assume I am older. But the closer I get to 30, the more I wish that what people were saying was, "you don't look old enough to have four kids" rather than, "I never would have thought you so young!" When I turned 24, a lady in my neighborhood told me she wouldn't put me a day over 30. Ouch.

All right. I'm done complaining. Guess I ought to take my aging, big rump and do something productive.