I have a good friend named Teresa. My family loves Teresa. She is one of the sweetest, gentlest, most loving people that I know. She also has Down Syndrome. What I love most about Teresa is watching how she interacts with my children. They are the best of friends.
I remember when my kids first met Teresa. I had gone by her home to drop something off for her Mom... she waited patiently by the door while I said hello and explained why I was there. As soon as she had the room to speak, she excused herself from my presence and raced to the car where my kids were waiting. Obviously they were much more exciting guests than I was. I only stayed for a few minutes before returning to the car, where I found Teresa laughing and telling jokes with my kids. After we said our goodbyes, and pulled back on to the highway, I wanted to talk to my kids about Teresa and explain a little about her disability. I started by telling the children that I knew Teresa was different... I didn't get any further in to my explanation when Jordan interrupted me:
"Mom," he said. "Is she different?"
Thank goodness I have my children around to teach me life's lessons.
(don't forget my twin stroller give away... see the post below, or click on the button at the top of my blog!!)