This is my friend Kelly. Kelly is one of my very best friends... our friendship has survived the highly emotional years of high school - soccer boyfriends, swim team bus rides, journalism trips, and many, many sleepovers. It has endured through years apart in college, two weddings, four babies, new houses, new jobs, new puppies that turn into horse sized dogs, and many phone calls and emails that, though we rarely get to see each other, keep us feeling like we do.
For all of these years of friendship, Kelly's birthday has always been the very same day in July. Every year it's on the 28th. Every single year. You would think that after all of these July 28th's, I would remember that it is her birthday. It's not the 23rd. It's not in June. Not ever. But I am a dork and never ever get the date right. Every year Kelly endures me calling and wishing her a happy birthday on the 23rd of June, and then again on the 28th of June, and then on the 23rd of July. I know it's pathetic. It's horrible that a day as important as the day the world was blessed with Kelly cannot remain forever imprinted on my brain.
Perhaps publicly admitting my forgetfulness will prevent me further embarrassing myself and forever insulting the sweetness of my dear friend. I'm glad she is so forgiving. I don't deserve it!
So.... I love you Kelly. I'm glad you're you, and that you put up with the my forgetfulness. Life wouldn't be the same without you... I promise never to forget that magical day 27 years ago in August... I mean July, when your life began.
And I WILL call you on Monday. The 28th. Cause something's going on on that day, right? Is it your Mom's birthday? Maybe the day you got Samson?