Monday, September 8, 2008

A lesson I wish I'd learned from someone else's experience.

Maybe you have a really spotlessly clean kitchen. Maybe you always throw away food before it goes bad, so you never deal with rotten or moldy anything. Maybe you've never learned the lesson that potatoes stored in a cool dry place, and then forgotten become an excellent medium for fruit flies to live and multiply by the millions.

I've learned this lesson. Through personal experience. So I NEVER keep potatoes or any other fruit that could possibly become home to nasty little colonies of nasty little fruit flies.

Imagine my frustration when my kitchen started filling up with fruit flies. I have been digging and searching for any possible source for a week.


I found it.


Turns out fruit flies don't actually need fruit, or potatoes, or any other kind of once edible item to thrive on. They can also use a pee soaked diaper left carelessly in the hall bathroom trash can.

Can I just tell you how disgusting it was? Really. Don't ever, ever in a million years leave a diaper in an open trashcan that isn't taken out once every day or so. You'll live to regret it. I promise.

So sorry if I've disgusted you... use my experience to protect yourself.