Friday, September 19, 2008

Mysterious Shrinking Church Pants.

I've spent the entire morning and much of the afternoon going through my children's wardrobes, sorting out what can still be worn through the colder months of winter, and what has turned in to a belly shirt, or a pair of high waters and must be cast aside for other much smaller children.

I expect kids to grow out of clothes from one season to the next. But I would really love to know how church pants shrink. Because surely it isn't possible for Jordan to grow SO MUCH that he needs a new pair ever other month. I mean really. How can they be perfectly fine one week, and then the very next week be something that is terribly tight and way too short and all of sudden completely unwearable? I'm getting really tired of buying dress pants.

In other news, my entire family was asked to prepare a song that we could sing all together in church next week. I'm thinking perhaps we'll sing "I am a child of God," or if I have any hopes of actually getting my kids to SING, we might sing the theme song to Zula Patrol. I just listened to my three oldest children sing the entire theme song in perfect unison without missing a single word.

We're taking our kids to the fair tonight. Lucky for us, it's just an agricultural fair because we are a town way too small to attract the big fancy rides and stuff. This makes me happy because we don't have to spend huge sums of money on a tiny number of tickets so our kids can ride teacups and flying elephants that are certain to self destruct any minute... I don't think fair rides EVER look safe. So instead, we go and see the animals and walk through the craft pavilion and eat artery clogging, deliciously wonderful food... the animals are a BIG deal. Kids and high school students compete with their own cows, or pigs, or sheep or whatever other livestock there is. Jordan went to the fair yesterday with his class at school. He mapped out the size of the biggest cow he saw in our kitchen for us last night. By his estimation, it was near seventeen feet long. Can I tell you, I'm anxious to see this cow.