Last Thursday, Henry was bit by something, some sort of insect, I don't' know what, several times on his face. Whatever it was, his little face got really swollen. The bridge of his nose, around his eyes and his forehead were all swollen and puffy... not red, just protruding. Think big forehead alien like. It was disturbing.
When we went to the fair on Friday night, he was a little better, but still a little odd looking to anyone that knows how cute he is without a malformed head. A stranger, on the other hand, probably wouldn't notice the swelling. A stranger might however, feel compelled to make a comment about the size of my child's frontal lobe...
"That's a great frontal lobe he's got there. It means he's gonna be smart... BIG BRAIN inside that head..."
Oh, that's sweet. Someone thinks my baby is gonna be smart... wait. What?!?
In the end, I didn't argue. What was I gonna say? "Oh, actually, his head's just swollen. He's not going to be smart at all. He'll probably only be as smart as his siblings who, in their blind belief that they MUST have something free from every single booth at the fair, are filling their goody bags with chunks of wood from the forest service wood cutting display. They're gonna mount them to the refrigerator with their free magnets from Allstate, or draw on them with their pens from Farm Bureau. He won't realize just like they don't that just because something is free, you do not actually have to take it if it has NO VALUE to a kid..."
I'm sorry. What was I talking about? Oh, that's right. The weird man telling me my baby's head looked funny complimenting my baby on his great frontal lobe... just weird.
Other highlights of the evening:
I was standing in line in the women's restroom with Lucy. While we were waiting, a little girl who could not have been older than 3 came in to the bathroom, went to the head of the line, walked in to the next open stall, did her thing, and then darted out the door. I was a little annoyed that she cut in line, but more annoyed that some idiot mother sent a three year old in to a bathroom full of strangers by herself. Wonder how big her frontal lobe is?
We saw a chicken sitting at a table with it's owner, eating crumbs and bits of food off a plate. What was on the plate, you say? Barbecued chicken. Disturbing on many different levels.
Pigs stink. That's all.