Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Blog safety addendum, and other bits of random.

Did you know that you can change the url to your blog? I did not know this. I wrote an entire post about blog safety under the impression that you can't change your url. Then, I did blog shakedowns for many, many people, who must have thought I knew what I was doing, still under the impression that you can't change your url, without getting a whole new blog all together. I learned otherwise today when this sister in law changed her blog address. Fancy that.

I asked my friend Nobody, who I was currently talking to on the phone if this was possible, and she said, "Uh, yeah, you can..." in a not at all condescending but still you should probably know this oh blog safety queen voice. So now I do know. And since many asking for blog shakedowns expressed concern that their last name was firmly entrenched in the url of their blog, know now that it is actually possible to change it. Now, granted, if you have a heavily networked blog, it would be a lot of work to change it... because every link to your blog anywhere in the whole wide world of the Internet would have to be changed. Tedious, for sure. But not impossible, as I once thought.

Perhaps everyone already knows this and I, as is often the case, was in the dark, all alone. I'm cool with that.

Speaking of being in the dark, I have this terrible habit of not turning on the lights. Now that it's getting darker earlier, it's really becoming a problem. Josh often comes home and finds me in the kitchen, straining to read a recipe to complete dinner, with nary a light on in the house. He'll turn the light on for me, and shake his head in wonder as I marvel at the new sudden brightness in the room... as if I've never seen an electric light before. It's not that I don't like the lights, I just don't think about it. Is it actually possible to be so busy and preoccupied that you forget to turn on the light?

Today on my return visit to the nursing home, my new friend John gave Henry a little stuffed frog. He carried it around with him all day, saying "Oh, fog!" It was adorable. On my way out of the nursing home, a nice man stopped me and told me he'd just had his eyebrows trimmed. He wanted to know how they looked. I told him they looked wonderful. He said, "Yeah? I thought they were getting a bit out of control. I'm glad they look better."

Dude. I can totally relate to out of control eyebrows.

So, I think my children have discovered that I have a terrible weakness when it comes to books. When they want them, I have a hard time not buying them. I mean, who can refuse when a kid wants to buy more books? Or stay up late to read books? Jordan's currently reading the second Harry Potter book. Getting him to shut the thing and go to bed is seriously more difficult than, uh, I can't come with up anything. But something really hard. I can't be mad at him though. Because he is me. When I was 7.

That's all.