Wednesday, November 19, 2008

What's wrong with this conversation?

Late this afternoon, while I was cleaning up before dinner, I got a phone call from Feature Films for Families. I love feature films... I grew up watching Rigoletto, and the Buttercream Gang movies, and my kids have enjoyed several of their more recent offerings. So I thought I'd at least listen to what the nice movie man had to say.

So I listened, and he talked.

He asked me questions, and I answered.

He asked if I would like to get one free movie and then be able to purchase their upcoming new release, a full length production of the Velveteen Rabbit. Well, I'm a sucker for all things velveteen, and love a good movie for my kids. So I said sure.

He asked me more questions, and I answered.

Then this happened:

Movie Man: "We accept visa, mastercard, or discover. Which would you prefer? And, I don't mind waiting while you get those numbers for me."

Me: "Actually, I have the numbers right here, but before I give you my card information, can you give me a number where I could call you back, to verify that you are who you say you are?"

(One can never be too careful, and I was starting to get a funny vibe from this guy, so I wanted to be sure before I chucked my check card number in to the unknown)

Movie Man: "You can visit our website at www.familymovies.com (or something like that, I don't remember exactly what it was.) and read all about our company.

Me: "I'm sorry, you must not have understood me. I know WHAT your company is, I just want to verify that you are who you say you are before I give you my card number."

Movie Man: "Our telephone number is 1-800-whatever..."

Me: "And I can call and verify this order, and then give you my card number?"

Movie Man: "Yes, great. We'll get that invoice right out to you. Please pay us as soon as possible as it aids in the production of more great movies, yada, yada, blah blah blah. Thank you, and goodbye."

Wait just one minute!!

And then, it dawned on me. I had totally been having a conversation with a computer recording. (explains the weird vibe, doesn't it) Looking back, I'm beginning to pick up on the guys' total lack of people skills... the long pauses before every line... the continual use of the word "Great!" with the exact same intonation... his complete and total disregard for my actual questions.

I can't believe I was so completely fooled. And yet, I'm amazed that technology exists that COULD so utterly convince me I was talking to a real person. I'm sure the computer just picks up on key words and generates the next line of conversation based on that. I really want Mr. movie man to call me back so I can try and confuse him.

When he asks, "Are you interested in helping us out today?" I can respond, "Yes! I am interested... NO! I do not want to help. Yes! No! Yes! No!"

I wonder what would happen.

Really, I'm surprised that all the chaos in the background of any and all phone conversations that I have, didn't throw off Mr. movie man.

The nice robot man at Wachovia is NOT good at sorting out the roaring and screaming and begging going on whenever I am on the phone.

"I'm sorry. I didn't get that. Could you say it one more time?"

"I'm sorry. I don't recognize the account name 'Mommmyyy, help meee!!' Please call again another time."

My sister in law did tell me once that if you repeat the word, "AGENT" over and over, you'll normally get to a real person. But how can I know to ask for a real person if I think the computer IS a real person?

Who knew I would ever have problems like this?