Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The one where the men should stop reading.

I'm warning you. Omar, and Sam, and Clay Aiken. You best just stop reading here. Because this post most certainly borders on too much information....

But since it's useful information, I'm posting anyway.

So hormones give me migraine headaches. Not my own hormones, though those do tend to run a little haywire every once in a while... but artificial hormones, in the form of birth control give me migraines. I've tried different variations, different levels of this, that, and the other and found that no matter the variation of the pill, I wind up with a splitting, three-day headache on week two of every cycle. And since three day headaches are hugely convenient when you have babies that need to be fed, and because my doctor told me women who get visionary related migraines when taking birth control pills are at an increased risk for stroke, I decided to never take the pesky little pills again.

If only the solution were so simple. Because see, I really like my husband... but I don't want twenty five children. So, since birth control pills were out, there had to be another solution.

So I did my research and studied the options and talked to my doctor and decided that since I've had relatively normal cycles my entire life, the best option for me was this book:

fertility book

This book literally taught me everything I EVER wanted to know about how my body works. And many things I didn't really want to know. I learned from it's pages, to know with singular certainty when pregnancy achievement is possible, and how best to totally avoid such an occurrence, or totally embrace it... depending on what my plans are.

I am literally totally empowered with information about how my body works. There are so many signs and symptoms, clues that our body gives as to what is going on, and what we can expect in the days and weeks coming up. I know now that the idea that every woman has a 28 day cycle is a fallacy... mine is more like 35, or 40. Lots of stress and lost sleep, not to mention wasted money on pregnancy tests would ensue if I planned around day 28 every month. Instead, I've defined my very own sense of "normal" and make all decisions based on that, and not what the doctor's little spinny calendar tells me.

I also know now, that if and when I do want to be pregnant again, I can determine the very day that I need to uh, clear my schedule.

The downside is that it requires a bit more discipline than say, taking a birth control pill every morning. AND... most importantly, it requires discipline from wife, AND husband. It is definitely not a method that works unless everybody is on board. Okay, well not everybody. You don't really need your neighbors, or your kids, or the UPS man on board. Just the two of you should be just fine.

So, the book is recommended. Even if you just read it for the education, I recommend it.

That is all. Unless you have a question, and then feel free to ask. I don't want my comment section to be full of gory details though, so if you're talking specifics, send me an email. :)