First, a disclaimer: Frustration over the toddler not talking does not equal concern over the toddler not talking. I know he's normal (or as normal as one of my kids is capable of being), I know he's smart enough, he knows his colors, his animals, his body parts.... so I'm not worried about the kid.
And now I vent...
HOW many things in this world can be called "ish?" Really? Aren't there more sounds to be applied to random things that Henry needs? It's all ish. Apparently there is no other way for him to indicate that he needs something from me... he just repeats, over and over, while pointing in mostly random directions, "ish!!!"
Well wait... that's not entirely true. Sometimes he pushes on my legs and screams loud enough for the neighbors to hear... not screaming as in, crying... just screaming at me to get my attention. Wonder how long before he realizes THAT doesn't work.
I'm thinking ish perhaps means, "this". Except sometimes it really does mean ish... like when he wants life sustaining goldfish. The only way I know it doesn't mean goldfish is when I say "You want goldfish?" and he looks at me and says, "nuh-uh". Our conversation continues with me suggesting random things I think he might need until I get it right, and he giggles. Giggling equals yes. If he doesn't giggle, then he simply nods his head... see, he's so desperate to NOT talk to me, he's taught himself sign language.
I'm sure words will come one day, and when they do, I suspect they'll arrive in complete sentences... "Mother dear, may I have a sandwich please?" Until then... I tell you what, this baby's gonna make me plum crazy!
Maybe I ought to just start speaking his language...
I'm gonna go drink a tall glass of ish, and then go ish, and then maybe I'll stop and get down to ish. That's something you're gonna want to ish yourself, because ishing, oh man, it's ish....