Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Chocolate where?!

So, I sat down at the kitchen counter this afternoon to update my planner and add the dates of Sam and Lucy's T-Ball games to the 9 AM slot of every single Saturday between now and June. Yeah. I did say 9 AM. Because obviously nice Mr. game scheduler has NO stinkin idea how hard it is to get four children to the ball field by 9 in the morning - two in full uniform. But that's not really the point.

I opened my planner and a strange brown substance was smeared all over the inside cover. My first instinct was to smell it. Because I'm a mother. And any unidentified brown substance is reason for alarm. I was relieved to discover it was chocolate. But then I thought... "should I be worried that there is chocolate smeared all over my planner? I mean, do I have no self control?"

I have no recollection of any simultaneous sessions of planning AND consuming chocolate, so I really have no idea how it got there. The more I think about it though, the more I realize it very well could have happened any of the numerous times I hastily shove something delicious in to my purse just before my children find me, and immediately start begging to have a bite or a taste of whatever it is I'm enjoying. Hiding cocoa contraband in the inside flap of my planner is obviously a much better option than sharing chocolate. Right? I mean, not always. I'm not totally opposed to sharing. I would probably share with you.. but we're talking about kids here - little treat monsters that will eat goldfish crackers they find in the couch, and rock hard gummy bears they find in the cupholder of the van, three months after they put them there. And boogers. Would it not be a waste to give them the last bite of a Godiva Mint Chocolate Truffle when they would consider a week old swiss cake roll as equally satisfying?

I think so! Or so I will continue to justify...