Thursday, September 3, 2009

Story Telling by Sam.

I won't deny that when any of my children show any interest in all things literary, I get more than a little excited. I'm happy to let them grow up and become whatever in the world they want to be. But if one of them decides to write, I won't be disappointed. Jordan has already shown shades of elaborate creativity when writing for school. I cheer whenever I read a keenly placed adjective or a dynamically different verb.

Sam, on the other hand, is still a little too young to spend a great deal of time putting words on paper. It certainly isn't due to a lack of stories. I overheard him telling a story to his brothers and sister on the way home from school yesterday. I asked him if I could record his story when we got home, and he readily agreed. Funny thing though, the story I recorded is absolutely different than the one he told in the car. If you look closely, you can see him making it up as he goes along. I LOVE his facial expressions. I've shaved it down quite a bit to make it a reasonable length... what you miss in the beginning is that there are five kids, they find an abandoned sail boat and sail it to an island where they find a haunted mansion.

So. It's only three and a half minutes long. If you sit through the entire thing, he says something at the end that will make you laugh out loud. I promise.



In other Sam news, he is absolutely loving school. He talks often of the little girls that cheer him on while he eats his lunch (wha? huh? He needs a cheering section to eat?), AND he told me he's pretty sure his teacher LOVES his curls. I have no idea if this is a compliment she paid him, or if he's just so smooth, he can tell by the way she says the ABC's. Either way, I'm learning that life with Sam is never, ever going to be boring, and life with a teenage Sam is probably going to keep me on my toes!