Saturday, October 3, 2009

A tiny miracle.

I REALLY couldn't handle being sick again.

The past few weeks haven't been easy, dealing with the flu, and secondary respiratory infections on top of the every day sickness that comes with pregnancy. My entire family has suffered for it, not to mention the dishes and ever increasing piles of laundry.

You can imagine my desperation when Thursday evening I found myself flat on my back with a fever, chills, and the worst body aches I have ever endured. Friday I went to the doctor. Do you know what they said?

It was flu. They tested me. IT WAS THE FLU. Except I just had the flu. How on earth could I be sick again? The doctor was nearly positive that this was the new H1N1 virus, (maybe I just had seasonal flu last time?) that has proved serious and in some cases, even fatal to pregnant women. Comforting thought, isn't it? I told my husband I couldn't do it. My reserves of strength and energy were completely gone and I just couldn't fight anymore, physically, or mentally. The idea of several more days of fever, aches and pains and a neglected list of motherly responsibilities was a wall I simply didn't think I could climb.

So my husband gave me a priesthood blessing, and family members offered prayers on my behalf.

Saturday morning, the fever was gone, and now by Saturday evening, I feel well enough to have just fixed my children pancakes, to have loaded the dishwasher, and even spend a few minutes writing up a blog.

In my weakened state, from previous illness and pregnancy, I feel fairly certain that H1N1 could have wiped me out for much more than 48 hours, had it not been for the healing power of the priesthood and the glorious intervention of prayer. I truly believe I was prayed to wellness and am so grateful that my Heavenly Father is aware of me, and was willing to intervene on my behalf.

I'm still taking it easy. But I feel SO much better, and was so happy to be coherent and functional enough that I could really enjoy today's sessions of General Conference. It was wonderful, wasn't it? Can't wait for tomorrow.