Thursday, October 8, 2009

Good doctors.

Do you love your doctors?

My OB? He's the stuff dreams are made of. Not in the "I have a crush on my doctor" sort of way, but in the "Couldn't dream of a better doctor" sort of way. He's thorough, he's respectful, he's passionate about what he does. He respects my decision to have a large family, and is openly supportive, while still keeping my overall health and wellness at the heart of his concern. He delivered Henry, and at our last office visit before the surgery, said this:

"Since I won't see you again before we are in the operating room, would you be comfortable with me offering a word of prayer before you go?"

So he prayed. He prayed for me, for the baby. He prayed for his own hands that they would be guided through the surgery and that all would go smoothly and successfully. I almost cried. Then, after Henry was born, he followed me into the recovery room, took my baby in his arms, and prayed again - thanked God that my baby had been born into a family of believers, that he was healthy and well, then prayed for continued health and strength for Mom and baby. I think I did cry that time.

My family doctor is just as wonderful. He's seen all my kids for the past five years. Do you know what I love about him the most? He listens. He listens to what I think, and trusts my intuition as a Mom. He knows my kids by name, without looking at their chart. He's a kind man, which I think makes him an even better doctor.

When I'm sick, or pregnant, or both, I tend to appreciate my doctors a bit more. I am so glad there are people in this world that will spend THAT much time in school, just so they can tell me how best to take care of myself, and my kids. I've got friends who have endured years of med school and residency - all those hours away from family, studying, working... I'm grateful for that. So. If you're a doctor, you totally rock. And if your spouse is a doctor, you totally rock too. You've sacrificed a lot so other people can be healthy. Thanks.