When I was a baby, home from the hospital for just a few weeks, my older brother was apparently so distressed by the presence of his new baby sister, he thought he would take my removal into his own hands. My mother caught him approaching the front door, carrying me in a headlock, my tiny baby body dangling underneath. Thankfully, my Mother came to the rescue before he was actually able to throw me over the mountain. But I'm pretty sure that's where I was headed.
Lucky for my brother, I can't remember the incident and managed to love him anyway. We're still close, my near death experience long forgotten.
I fear history may repeat itself when this next baby arrives. Now that I'm starting to show, we've been talking to Henry about the baby. I worry about his adjustment the most. The older kids have been through this before, but Henry? I'm thinking he's really digging all the one-on-one time with Mommy he's getting now that the big kids are in school. When another joins the mix? I see a full on one man revolution. So, we're starting early with the "baby on the way" conditioning.
It isn't going well.
A few weeks ago, when we told Henry there was a baby in Mommy's tummy, he said, "No, Mommy. Da baby is wight here!" while pointing at himself.
Right, then. Maybe we'll just let him be the baby for a few more months.
Additionally, I'm having to continually remind Henry that he has to be careful when he climbs on my lap.
"Watch the belly," I'll say. Today I followed up with a question, wondering if he's made any progress towards acceptance.
"Henry, is there a baby in my tummy?"
"No, Mommy. It's JUST ME!"
He's got an iron will, that one. And he is NOT excited about being a big brother. A lot can happen in 4 1/2 months. Let's hope his attitude improves.
In other Henry news... we're nearly ready to start potty training. Aren't you excited for me? I think he's ready physically, and he's about the age his brothers were when they worked it out, so I'm gonna try. Who knows how it will go. Right now he's hugely motivated by Thomas the Tank Engine underwear, and I'm hugely motivated by the possibility of having one child out of diapers before another climbs in.