Thursday, November 19, 2009

I sat on the spoon!

And that means I'm having a girl. I'm serious. My sister-in-law believes it is fool proof, and three for three within the family, she's been right. You want to try? Put two chairs side by side and have your spouse put a spoon on one chair, and a fork on the other. Now, without knowing which utensil is on which chair, back up, and sit down on one of the chairs. You sit on a spoon, you're having a girl, the fork, and you're having a boy.

So, yay for me! Ultrasound is in less than two weeks, so we'll let the doctor confirm what we already know then. Honestly, I'm feeling pretty strongly that it is a girl. But then, I really felt like Jordan was a girl too, and uh, he was not. This time though, it's been a pregnancy unlike any other. I've been so much sicker, have felt so different than I did with my boys... it's gotta be a girl, right? Right?!

For the record, I have marvelous boys, and wouldn't be disappointed, but since this is most likely the very last time I will walk down this road, I would love for Lucy to have a sister. I cannot, even for a moment, imagine my life without my sister. I would love for Lu to have that too. So. Let's hope the spoon is right.

So, we've entered a new stage of toddlerdom around here. I've officially titled it the "No, me!" stage. Because that is what I hear Henry say four hundred times a day.

"Can I help you put your shoes on?"

"No, Me!"

"Can I open your juice box for you?"

"No, Me!"

"Can I fix you some cereal?"

"No, Mommy. I do it all by me aself."

Sigh. Oh, the joys of budding independence.

Speaking of independence, the nursery leaders at church on Sunday brought Henry to me just before church was over and said, "He says he needs to go potty."

Uh, okay. Even though he isn't potty trained yet, I thought we could give it a try. So we did. We went to the potty, and he totally went. Who would have thought? When we got home from church that afternoon, we put him in underwear and he did great all day. And then, Monday morning, he handed his underwear right back to me, and said, "No Mommy, me wike diapers."

Lazy little stink. I'm not in any hurry, though. I mean, you can't blame the kid, right? The entire idea of having to actually control your bodily functions... it's got to seem overwhelming to a kid. We'll try again in ten years.