Thursday, January 21, 2010

You know you're from the South...

Okay, so maybe it's a double standard. But I can make fun of the south because I live here. If you make fun of the south, and you don't live here, I'm gonna be mad. Even if you do live here, and you're just mean hearted about it, then I'll be mad too. But good natured ribbing? I can do that. I've earned the right, since I've lived in these here parts my whole life.

The other day, I took Lucy to play at a friends house. Because I'd never met the little girl's parents, I stayed and visited with the Mom while the girls played. They seemed like a really nice family. But can I just tell you? I absolutely understand why Lucy has been coming home from school with a THICK southern accent. I mean, you kinda have to try to make Sam a two syllable word. But she manages just fine.

"Sayyyy - Ammmmm!"

Yeah. I swear she doesn't get it from me. But from this little friend at school? As I sat in her living room and listened to her family talk, oh yes. It became really clear what was influencing Lucy.

Now, don't get me wrong. I LOVE a good southern accent. As long as it doesn't damage your grammatical correctness, you can sound southern all you want. I WILL cringe if you say you've done been somewhere, or that you ain't going to do nothin. But I am all about sounding southern and educated. Though much of the world may think otherwise, I firmly believe it's possible.

But now I'm getting sidetracked. Back in the living room of Lucy's sweet little southern friend...

Her mother and I were talking when suddenly, the phone rang. I watched as my new friend reached behind her, picked up a Nascar, and said hello.

Oh, my holy heaven. Her telephone is a race car.

Novelty-Tony-Stewart-Phone-20-Tony-Stewart-NASCAR-Sound-Phone-img1

After she finished her conversation, I said,

"Kim, there is NOTHING that makes you seem more southern than answering a Nascar."

She laughed.

"Oh my goodness," she said. "You haven't seen anything yet. Wait till you see my husband's shrine... He just LOVES Dale Earnhart."

I tried to dampen my reaction. I mean, this IS the south. And everybody loves Nascar in the south, right?

I.DON'T.GET.IT.

It's cars. Driving in a circle. Over and over and over again.

So, I did a little research to try and understand the fascination. Oh, dear me. The things I found. I absolutely need one of these for my living room.

503343

Josh needs a new wallet. I mean, this would be perfect, right?

539434

And this would be outstandingly comfortable when I need to nurse the baby in the middle of the night.

furniture-sale_2089_1370483224

My, oh my. The things some people get in to. And really, that's all it is. It's what makes us all different. In my house growing up, it was Carolina basketball. I'm sure quite a few Nascar fans wouldn't "get" that at all.

There was also a period of my life when I endured a rather unhealthy fascination with Clay Aiken. I'm pretty sure most everyone didn't "get" that. (No. I'm not kidding. Yes, it's pretty much past... but seriously. The guy can really sing!)

Nascar fans or not, it was lovely to meet Lucy's friend and her family. They were lovely, delightful people, and were overflowing with southern goodness and charm.

I'm curious. Do people watch Nascar where you live?