Monday, January 24, 2011

Monday Afternoon Mayhem and What I'm Thinking

I am currently in the middle of orchestrating homework and after school snacks. I'm trying to make sure the kids spend some time outside and get some exercise. I'm periodically checking on the beef stew in the oven and trying to decide whether or not I have time enough to make a loaf of French bread before it's dinner time. I'm helping solve fourth grade math problems, alphabetizing first grade spelling words, and making a list of things I need at the grocery store. Oh, and I'm constantly watching the baby, making sure she doesn't eat a Lego or climb into the dog's water bowl. Again.

Ridiculous time to blog, yes?

I'm here only to say that with all this buzzing about the Salon.com article about Mormon Mommy Bloggers, I've been thinking a great deal about why there is an apparent fascination with the "happy little Mormon lives" we Mormon Mommy Bloggers portray on our blogs. I do not have too much to add. I read the article. It made me laugh in some ways, and roll my eyes in others. My life is anything but perfect. I think I represent the ups and downs of mothering five children pretty well on my blog. I'm also certain that every single thing I type or imply on this blog is one hundred percent me. I'm not pretending. I'm not faking it for the glory of having an online glamorous life. (Glamorous? Really? Have you read the post about sleeping in baby poop?) But here is what I know. There IS something different about Mormon women. I'm speaking very generally here. But I think that something is JOY. Not happiness. Joy is much more than being happy. A fullness of joy comes from understanding who we are as women, and what things in life will bring us the most fulfillment. Money is great, jobs are great, nice things are great. But what will we take with us from this life? Our families, our faith, our knowledge. When you know that, when you KNOW what you're living for, I think you feel a little differently about yourself. I think you feel a little differently about mothering.

Just one more thing. Lest I've implied this knowledge is exclusive to Mormon women, I don't think that. I know of many Christian women who are not Mormon, but who live and blog their faith and who GET this mothering gig for what it really is - a blessing, a gift, an opportunity to serve in the most sacred way possible. But, the article was about Mormon women, so it's Mormon women that I'm referencing. And now, in the middle of my Monday afternoon mayhem, I have said my piece.

And wait... just one more 'one more thing'... Don't forget to leave a comment on yesterday's Servicemen Sunday post. It's a good one. Here's the link:

Servicemen Sunday: Oliver