Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Twin Talk

Sometimes, I forget that Sam and Lucy are twins. They are old enough now that the extra measure of work and lets be real, UTTER AND COMPLETE CHAOS that comes from having two babies at once has long passed. Life is no longer complicated because they came as a pair. Now, I just get to rejoice in the fact that I got two babies for the price of one.

 When people meet our family for the first time, the general assumption is that Lucy is older than Sam. She is, after all, an inch or two taller than he is, and outweighs him by nearly ten pounds. (He's a little guy, but OH how his personality makes up for it.) They are in different first grade classes, have different sets of friends, different interests, completely different personalities. They share a birthday... and that's about it.

Except, it isn't.

My kids love to hear me talk about when they were babies. Tonight, Sam and Lucy wiggled onto my lap and peppered me with questions. Who slept more? Who cried more? Who talked first? I told them about the day they were born when Lucy wouldn't settle until the nurses at the hospital moved Sam into her bassinet. I told them that even when I moved them into separate cribs, they still had to be able to see each other to be happy.  I told them about sneaking up to their bedroom door at the end of nap time and listening to their tiny baby giggles. Oh, how I loved those moments, listening to them laugh at each other.

After we talked, I watched as completely unprompted, Sam leaned over and wrapped his arms around his sister. A few minutes later, he told Lucy he had a secret. When she raced over to hear it, I heard him whisper quietly, "I love you!"

I'm sure, tomorrow afternoon when they are fighting over Legos and squabbling over who is taking up more room on the couch, they will NOT be expressing such love and affection. But under the bickering of any typical sibling relationship, I know the love is there. And that makes me happy. It makes me happy that they will always have each other - that he will watch out for her, and she will knock him up side the head when he's being a doof.

And for certain, when they are steaming mad at each other, because heaven knows they won't survive their remaining years of childhood without one or two or nine hundred more sibling fights, I will remind them that under it all, their is love.


And now I have the blog to prove it.


*******